- Race Info
- Visitor Guide
Frank Carulli's Focus On Favorites
Frank Carulli's Focus On Favorites
Frank Carulli is the linemaker and in-house television handicapper for The Maryland Jockey Club. The 50-year old native of Summitt Hill, PA, came to Maryland in January 2002 after a four-year stint as publicity director and TV commentator at Charles Town Racetrack in West Virginia.
(10:45) 1-1/16 miles OClm 25000/N2X
1. AUSSI AUSTIN closed with ‘good energy’ for second, ahead of sharp
5. BENNY OR LOCAL drifted near lane, straightened out for repeat win off
claim at distance.
6. HAKAMA dueled under rating, shook clear briefly in stretch, missed by nose.
(11:18) 1-1/16-mile [S] Deputed Testamony Hcp 40000
9. HELLO LOVER is most accomplished runner in field but has yet to race
5. WHO DAT BOY chased Bake Shop (see 1st race) and finished second
in three-peat bid.
7. NO BRAKES rallied into slow pace to finish second, could return quick
(11:53) 5F [Turf] Alw 52000/N1X
8. BROOKLYN COWBOY has good zip and good recent form, tests turf
for the first time.
7. RELENTLESS MOVE led between calls in stretch off layoff, was caught
by deep closer.
5. BOWMAN’S BOY ran down clear pace-setter on cutback and surface switch.
(12:30) 5F Rollicking 100k
6. SWEET EMMA ROSE sprinted clear and widened against all firsters
4. NO NAY NEVER held off two in-form rivals and ran faster time than
5. SILVERTONGUEDTOMMY went wire-to-wire in debut for top local
barn in ‘baby’ races.
(1:09) 1-1/16 miles [Turf] (F) Alw 52000/N1X
9. NOKAZE packed late punch as a 3-year-old, begins anew for 30-percent
14. MARATAYA’S TUNE led by city block and improved to 3-3 on turf with
11. WAQUOIT’S DANCE advanced outside into stretch, flattened out as pace-
(1:50) 6F Chick Lang 100k
2. ZEE BROS ran 102 Beyer in ‘key’ maiden win, tired at one mile in G-3
9. UNDRAFTED, graded stakes-placed twice at 7F, should get dream set-up.
3. BOBCAT JIM got caught late by day’s sixth straight off-pace winner in
(2:33) One Mile [Turf] James W. Murphy 100k
1. NOATCATBUTALLAMA ‘hesitated’ and ‘got out suddenly’ in grass stakes
wins as 2yo.
10. REDWOOD KITTEN, hooked mid-turn, battled until final 1/8th before
fave passed by.
4. HEAT PRESS, second to odds-on Tesio fave, is half to turf stakes winner
(3:14) 1-1/16 miles (F) DuPont Distaff – G3
6. SUMMER APPLAUSE won pair of graded stakes at this distance
off similar rest.
7. BRUSHED BY A STAR is G-2 winner at distance, $629k earner and3. MOON PHILLY toyed with weak field in stakes wins, working well
(4:00) 1-1/16 miles [Turf] Gallorette Hcp – G3
4. SAMITAR won Grade 1 turf stakes in U.S. and Ireland at 3, ran third
at distance last out.
5. OLD TUNE won pair of Grade 3 stakes from up-close at Tampabeyond one mile.
upon U.S. arrival.
3. PIANIST won on four courses in nine starts but has yet to win
(4:42) 6F Maryland Sprint Hcp – G3
10. SAGE VALLEY, idle six months, capped 3yo season with blazing 7F
4. HARDENED WILDCAT kicked past elders in return, should get ideal
7. CANDYMAN E, 7-for-14 in light-raced career, tracked duel and
lacked kick at 7F.
(5:25) 1-1/8 miles [Turf] Dixie – G2
2. OPTIMIZER ‘hurried out’ to get position after unprepared start, ran second
to Horse of Year.
9. SWIFT WARRIOR won back-to-back Grade 3s, from on and off pace,5. DOUBLES PARTNER seeks graded stakes victory on fourth different turf
on firm and soft turf.
(6:20) 1-3/16 miles Preakness – G1
1. ORB followed Kentucky Derby victory with what trainer called ‘magnificent’
workout as quest to become first Triple Crown victor since 1978 continues.
Former Maryland star Rosie Napravnik will try to become the first female
jockey to win the Preakness on late-running 5. MYLUTE.
4. DEPARTING overcame 5- and 6-wide trip to win G-3 Illinois Derby2. GOLDENCENTS, the first Preakness entrant to arrive, repelled foes in
that connections opted for instead of Kentucky.
G-1 Santa Anita Derby win but backed up readily on ‘sloppy’ strip in
(7:08) 1-1/16 miles Alw 52000/N1X
8. CODE WEST, Grade 2-placed at distance, could be day’s shortest-priced
10. CROWN POLIS won 3 of last 4, moves from one top barn to another.
12. DINOS ROMANCE plays to steady beat, draws difficult post position.
|BLACK-EYED SUSAN DAY|
(12:00) 1-1/16 miles [S] (F) Kattegat’s Pride 40k
8. BAYONNE has class edge, four wins at distance and should sit an ideal trip.
2. FRANSTEIN took command in this race last year but was caught by the favorite.
4. SIDE BY SIDE won going away on speed-favoring day at Parx, enters 23-percent claim barn. .
(12:30) 1-1/16 miles [Turf] (F) Md Sp Wt 50000
7. MORE THAN SWEET, slow into stride, gained steadily while 7-wide in useful debut.
3. YUZURU hit board in both route attempts as 2yo, tries turf in seasonal bow.
9. VICKY TICKY TAVIE awakened in second start, just missed on Pimlico lawn.
(1:00) 6F (F) OClm 50000/N1X
7. TALENT N PASSION drifted on clear mid-stretch lead, was caught by 32-1 shot.
5. HEART OF ROME earned top speed fig of career when second to fave in second start off claim.
3. ORLYANA QUEEN carried her speed the distance in second start for track’s top barn.
(1:30) 6F Alw 52000/N1X
7. GRAIN rallied for a win, a second and a pair of thirds as a 3-year-old, starts anew. <
1. DANCE WITH BULL dueled with speedball and gave way in 5-1/2F allowance two back.
8. OUTBACKER won off layoff to begin last season, will be running late.
(2:01) 1-1/16 miles [Turf] Alw 52000/N1X
12. READYSHAKEGO won at 60-1, finished fast in latest, can’t afford another slow start.
8. FLY’N BAYOU made up nearly 20 lengths in 11-horse field to finish third in return.
3. HEAR THE WORD ‘was never fully extended’ while gaining in stretch at this distance last fall.
(2:34) 6F (F) Skipat 100k
5. DANCE TO BRISTOL hooked tigresses as 3yo, exploded in CT stake for 3-peat this year.
3. WINNING IMAGE carried speed to 9/4-3-1 record in last nine non-graded stakes sprints.
6. STRIKE THE MOON is top money-earner and gets ideal set-up in return.
(3:05) 1-1/16 miles [Turf] OClm 25000/N2X
5. HUMBLE AND HUNGRY hit board in Preakness weekend stakes the last two years.
11. VOLCANO RUN is model of consistency in grass routes, draws bad post again.
7. LIVINGSTON STREET advanced inside after slow start, weakened in stretch, enters new barn.
(3:36) 6F (F) Miss Preakness 100k
8. I’M MOM’S FAVORITE got acclimated locally with allowance romp at 6F.
5. BLUEEYESINTHEREIN ‘fought doggedly’ in first long sprint attempt as perfect record fell.
2. TREAD ‘fought rider while moving clear’ and edged next-out stakes winner.
(4:11) 5F [Turf] Jim McKay Turf Sprint 100k
2. BRIDGETOWN can use speed well, earned 4 of 5 triple-digit Beyers with Velasquez up.
7. BEN’S CAT improved to 20-for-30 with 15th stakes victory under confident handling.
3. NIGHT OFFICER won turf sprints the last three times he didn’t meet top pair.
(4:46) 1-1/8 miles (F) Black-Eyed Susan – G2
7. EMOLLIENT returned in week, wired field from post 13 on synthetic strip in G-1 Ashland.
3. FIFTYSHADESOFHAY chased champion filly, hit board in pair of G-1s, wears hood.
5. WALKWITHAPURPOSE tracked pace under snug hold, drifted into lane, finished behind KY Oaks upsetter.
(5:20) 5F [Turf] (F) The Very One 100k
13. SWEET CASSIOPEIA bid 4-wide on turn, beat several of main rivals for fifth in row.
10. SPUN CAP, 3-for-4 at this distance, went with ‘Sweet’ but settled for second at 5-1/2F.
7. SOUNDS OF THE CITY was blocked with run and ‘closed well late’ in first stakes try.
(5:51) 1-3/16 miles Pimlico Special – G3
7. LAST GUNFIGHTER overcame rough trip for fifth win in row in G-3 stake off similar rest.
4. EIGHTTOFASTTOCATCH posted triple-digit Beyers in 4 of 7 stakes victories going long
5. RICHARD’S KID is $2.3 million earner but hasn’t been first or second in last nine graded stakes.
(6:20) 1-1/16 miles [Turf] (F) Hilltop 100k
1. KITTEN’S POINT became field’s only graded victor in her most recent try on the turf.
10. SUMMER OF FUN rallied for third in Grade 1 stake, won in ‘key’ allowance to begin 3yo season.
4. BIRDLOVER pressed faster pace than boys’ stake, yielded to deep closers.