BALTIMORE,MD 04-20-2010--- The Maryland Jockey Club and sports marketing and event management company Corrigan Sports Enterprises, Inc. (CSE) announced today the creation of the Preakness 5k to benefit the Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. For the first time on May 8, 2010 at 10 a.m., Marylanders and others alike will be able to run on the historic Pimlico course.
"The Preakness 5K kicks-off our inaugural partnership with Komen for the Cure, which we will celebrate at The People’s Pink Party on Black-Eyed Susan Day, Friday, May 14,” said Maryland Jockey Club President Tom Chuckas."We are honored to be working with the folks at Corrigan Sports, who run a first class operation and are respected as preeminent race organizers in Baltimore. For the first time ever, race participants will actually circle the world famous dirt track at Pimlico, which will welcome the finest three-year old thoroughbreds the following week at the 135th Preakness Stakes. We invite everyone to grab their running shoes on May 8th and join us as we race to raise money & support for Komen!"
CSE is well known to both area runners and Preakness attendees. The company puts on the annual Under Armour Baltimore Running Festival, which attracts more than 20,000 runners from all over the world, and manages the popular professional volleyball tournament in the infield at Preakness.
CSE President Lee Corrigan said, “Runners are constantly looking for a novel race experience. Getting to run in the same hoof prints of such great horses such as Secretariat and Rachel Alexander over the same Pimlico course where so much Preakness history has been made will be incredible.”
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure, launching the global breast cancer movement. Today, the organization is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors.
Komen Maryland, was founded over 17 years ago, and each year provides 75% of the funds raised at the Race for the Cure each year to fund local programs for Maryland women and families affected by breast cancer. The remaining 25% of funding supports national research to find the cures for breast cancer.
Just last week, the Komen Maryland proudly announced its grant recipients for fiscal year 2010 at the first annual Komen Grant Award Event, held at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture. This year’s grants total more than $2.2 million and were awarded to 27 programs across the state of Maryland.
"The way in which we support the breast cancer programs in our great state of Maryland and extend our reach is by partnering with organizations like the Maryland Jockey Club and the People’s Preakness 5K,” said Robin Prothro, Executive Director for Komen Maryland. “Starting the racing fever now is exciting—especially since race participants get to run on the actual Pimlico track. We know that the groundswell of support for all that we are doing will extend well into October for the Susan G. Komen Maryland Race for the Cure® in Hunt Valley on October 3rd.”
The 5k course will start and circle one mile around the famous Pimlico course. The route will continue with a tour of the quiet Mt. Washington neighborhoods before finishing at Pimlico in the infield.
The registration fee is $35. Each finisher will receive a logoed lawn blanket as their race premium. Runner will also receive a 10% discount on any regular infield admission ticket to the Preakness Stakes InfieldFEST featuring O.A.R. and Zac Brown Band the following Saturday.
For registration information visit: http://www.corrigansports.com/Events/Preakness_5K.html
|Corrigan Sports Enterprises||Maryland Jockey Club||Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®|
|Dave Gell||Mike Gathagan||Danelle Buchman|
|(410) 900-8380||410-578-4461||Lenore Koors|