- Race Info
- Visitor Guide
- Black Eyed Susan
Pimlico Stakes Schedule Worth Nearly $4.7 Million During 35-Day Spring Meeting
$100,000 Trainer Bonus Added To Preakness Weekend
BALTIMORE, 02-18-14---The Maryland Racing Commission approved the 2014 Pimlico Race Course spring stakes schedule at its monthly meeting this afternoon. The headline event of the 10-week meeting is the 139th running of the $1.5 million Preakness® Stakes (G1), the middle jewel of horse racing’s famed Triple Crown, on May 17.
The marquee meet of the Maryland racing season will feature 25 stakes races for purses totaling $4,680,000. The Preakness day undercard features eight other stakes races, including three graded races. The May 16 card features eight stakes races, highlighted by the $500,000 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (G2) and the $300,000 Pimlico Special (G3).
In addition, Pimlico will debut a $100,000 trainer bonus on Preakness weekend. Trainers will earn points based on finishes in 15 stakes races May 16-17.
• May 16---Black-Eyed Susan (G2), Pimlico Special (G3), Miss Preakness, Jim McKay Turf Sprint, Hilltop, Skipat, Rollicking
• May 17---Preakness (G1), Dixie (G2), Maryland Sprint (G3), Gallorette (G3), Chick Lang, James Murphy, Sir Barton, The Very One
Trainers will receive points for finishing first (10 points), second (7), third (5), fourth (3) and starting a horse (1 point) in each race.The winner will earn $50,000. Other prize money: $25,000 (second), $12,000 (third), $7,000 (fourth), $4,000 (fifth) and $2,000 (sixth). Trainers must have started five horses in the stakes combined to be eligible.
“It is extremely competitive during the Triple Crown season with so many high profile races,” said Maryland Jockey Club president Tom Chuckas. “We are working hard to increase the profile of Preakness weekend. We hope adding the trainer bonus will lead to larger fields and more wagering.”
The other modifications to the 2014 stakes schedule are:
• $100,000 purse increase to the Dixie Stakes (G2) from $300,000 to $400,000 and changing the distance from 1 1/8 to 1 1/16
• Not carding the Allaire duPont Stakes (G3) for fillies and mares on Preakness day
• Increase purses of Dahlia, Twixt, Tesio, Henry Clark, Primonetta, Stormy Blues and Shine Again Stakes from $75,000 to $100,000
• Changing the name of the Canonero II Stakes to the Sir Barton Stakes, increasing the purse from $75,000 to $100,000, altering the condition to non-winners of a sweepstakes and moving the race from early June to Preakness day
• The winners of the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (G2) and Miss Preakness Stakes on May 16 will receive a breeding season to Awesome Again and Ghostzapper, respectively, courtesy of Adena Springs
The Pimlico spring stand will begin April 3 with live racing taking place four days a week on a Thursday through Sunday schedule prior to Preakness and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday (plus Memorial Day). The 35-day meet will end on June 7, Belmont Stakes day.
Pimlico Spring Meeting Live Racing Schedule
April 17-18-19 (no racing Easter Sunday)
May 30-31-June 1
The Pimlico stable area will be open for training, beginning Monday, March 17.
The current Laurel Park winter meeting will conclude its 13-week run on Saturday, March 29.
About Pimlico Race Course
Pimlico Race Course is a Stronach Group company, North America’s leading Thoroughbred racetrack owner/operator. The Stronach Group racetracks include Santa Anita Park, Gulfstream Park & Casino, Golden Gate Fields, Portland Meadows, Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course, home of the world-famous Preakness. The company owns and operates the Palm Meadows Training Center in Florida and is one of North America's top race horse breeders through its award-winning Adena Springs operation. The Stronach Group is one of the world's largest suppliers of pari-mutuel wagering systems, technologies and services. Its companies include AmTote, a global leader in wagering technology; Xpressbet, an Internet and telephone account wagering service; and Monarch Content Management, which acts as a simulcast purchase and sales agent of horseracing content for numerous North American racetracks and wagering outlets. The Stronach Group is also a major producer of televised horse racing programming through its HRTV cable and satellite network and is North America's premier supplier of virtual online horse racing games, as well as a leading producer of social media content for the horseracing industry.